Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The Back Story.... Welcome to the Ride.

Welcome would be tattoo artist, fledgling apprentices, and tattoo artists' bitches.  Welcome to my journey into the wonderful world to tattooing.  My path will be blogged so that those on the unique path such as my own can learn a few things about the wonderful culture of Tattoo Artists.  And learn something about themselves in the process.

Now, mind you my perspective is wholly my own, subject to the mental issues that I have about being who I am.  So please understand that while my journey is being shown to those that would wish to gain some insight it might not go the same way for everyone else.

So on with the story:

My name is Anthony Gay, (yea fuck you.....I'm one of few people that can marry a woman and turn her gay.....legally.  Now that, that is out of the way) I am a father to two great children, a 14 yr old, and 7 year old.   I went to school at the Joe Kurbert School for Graphic Illustration, in Dover, N.J.  I have been drawing, painting, and even doing metal work for the past 15 years.  I have a common, every weekday, wage slave kind of job.  You know the white collar 8-5 kind of life.  I have a professional career, only that affords me a comfortable lifestyle and which has gotten to a point that I am now able to start pursuing the things that I truly love.  I have a great friend / lover that has pushed me back into that things that truly make me happy, and for that I will never forget her, Cathelene Dominguez.


With her prodding and support I have allowed myself to embrace the things that have always been the core of who I am.  Look people, I am a Geek.  A Starwars loving, Magic the Gathering playing, Comic book collecting, art creating, D&D Dungeon Master with an style.  Its taken a great woman to help me realize that I should never be ashamed of who I am.  To not make excuses for who I am.  


All of this brings me to the topic of this Blog.   Grym Ink:  A Geek Trying to Become A Tattoo Artist.  I have always loved tattoos, the culture behind it, the commitment to art, the punk-metal-counter culture flare that makes the tattoo community what it is.  From mags like "Inked", "Tattoo", "Prick", and even "Low-rider" a culture of art springs from the pages.....a dark often misunderstood art.  Like all artist, some tattoo artist are also subject of misunderstanding due to there choice of profession.  Especially in like this where shows like L.A. Ink almost make it "movie star" to be a tattoo artist, which I am sure many scratchers (self trained tattoo artist, the names arrives from the amount of people that they have scarred teaching themselves) have come from just watching the show instead of take the better path.  So this is me....... a artist that is ready to stake his claim in the tattoo world.  Cataloging his progress as a means to have a 1st person perspective of how to become a tattoo artist, and how hard/easy it is to break into it.


So sit back in the chair while I mix up your ink, and get your transfer ready......





 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow, so bold of you and awesome a few typos but hey no ones perfect ;)

From the day I met you I could see this person screaming to be let free someone so full of light just waiting to shine... I could see the shine in you!!!

Our first date told a story like no other and that is where you began to see the real ANTHONY he is the coolest nerd I know...

I have always said to everyone do the things that make you happy they make you live longer they make you smile more and bring out a laugh that only a mother could love...

I am most proud of you for taking this path and wish you success <3 her.....